The Cove Indian Restaurant has been suggested to me by several people as definitely worth visiting. It’s situated in a converted colonial style house which was built by the original owners Arthur and Muriel Groves with handmade cement bricks in 1920 after purchasing the dairy farm on the land.
The Cove is family friendly and serves dinner 7 days a week with a buffet dinner on Friday to Sunday and a buffet lunch on Sundays. I’ve not been to an Indian buffet before and thought it was a great idea to try different dishes I may not have normally ordered. My family and I visited on a Sunday lunch to celebrate my husbands birthday. When we arrived we were warmly greeted and seated in one of the many dining rooms with views over the tired looking back garden. An empty fenced-off swimming pool could have been transformed into a water feature or filled in to make a more appealing view for patrons. The staff were very friendly and made a big fuss of our son.
The Sunday Lunch Buffet is $28 adults, $8 children 2-5 years and $16, 6-12 year olds. There was a great variety of dishes in the buffet and a good selection of vegetarian meals too. Children were not overlooked and there were Chicken Nuggets and Chips for them. We found that when we first visited the buffet some of the food was not very hot but over the course of the lunch, all the food was topped up and it was definitely a lot hotter and tasted better.
Overall we enjoyed the buffet and thought it was great value. As The Cove is local to us we would visit again.
The buffet includes:
- 4 Salads – Potato, cucumber/Onion, Tossed greens, Raita
- 5 Entrees – Onion Bhaji, Vegetable Pakora, Tandoori Chicken, Plain and Garlic Naan
- 6 Main Courses – Butter Chicken, Lamb Rogan Josh, Beef Vindaloo, Chicken Madras, Basmati Rice and Biryani Rice
- 4 Vegetarian Dishes – Palak Paneer, Mixed Vegetable Curry, Dhal, Aloo Bhazi
- Accompaniments – Pappadums, Mint Chutney, Sweet Mango Chutney, Lime Pickle, Tamarind Sauce, Vegetable Pickle and Green Chillies
- Sweets – Gulub Jamuns, Indian Pudding, Jelly, Ice Cream
- Tea and Coffee included
The Cove Indian Restaurant
568 Canning Highway