Valentines Day Chocolate Mousse
This very rich, decadent chocolate mousse recipe was given to me by a family friend and I’ve used it many times. On this occasion I made it for my hubby for Valentines Day. He has a really sweet tooth and he loves chocolate mousse and maltesers – so I thought why not combine the two!
200g plain chocolate
4 tblspn strong mocha coffee or any liqueur
5 eggs separated
25g vanilla sugar
150ml double or whipping cream
Large bag Maltesers
1. In a bowl, beat the egg whites with the sugar until stiff.
2. In a separate bowl, beat egg yolks and vanilla sugar till frothy and the sugar is completely dissolved.
3. In another separate bowl, lightly whip the cream.
4. Then gently melt the chocolate and stir in coffee/liqueur and beat until shiny and smooth.
5. Slowly stir the egg yolks into the chocolate mixture making sure the mixture stays lukewarm.
6. Then add the cream to the chocolate mixture and stir with a balloon whisk.
7. Finally add the egg whites and very gently fold through with a wooden spoon whilst mousse is soft and loose in texture. Try not to over-mix losing volume.
8. Pour into heart-shaped dish and cover with Maltesers. Seal with cling film and refrigerate until set. Serve to your valentine with whipped cream and strawberries!